According to KSLA, the FDA has received 68 reports of pet illnesses and 15 deaths which have been related to processed and packaged "bone treats" for dogs.

Some of the illnesses and symptoms reported to the FDA include: gastrointestinal obstruction, cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, choking, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding from the rectum, as stated by KSLA.

I have always been cautious about giving my chocolate lab mix raw hides. Mainly because he is not the best at chewing his food completely before swallowing. That and my mother's dog had to be taken to the vet after he had an obstruction in his intestines due to a raw hide that he swallowed.

Just be careful with those raw hides and "bone treats".