Unhealthy and Healthy Tailgate Foods
Before you set yourself up for the LSU and Saints games this and start stuffing your face, I am here to ruin the delicious tastes that make up your tailgate party.
iVillage.com came up with a list of five unhealthy football foods. They also found five slightly healthier options. (Notice, I said SLIGHTLY)
- Pulled Pork Sandwich - Want to know why it tastes so good? The pork is usually very fatty.
- Chili Dogs - This will shock you, but this one is slightly better for you, even though the hot dog has fat. The good part is that they beans will help fill and the chili usually has at least some vegetables in it.
- Bratwurst - Isn't this just another form of a hot dog? Yes, but a hot dog is smaller. An average bratwurst has 260 calories and 21 grams of fat per brat. A hot dog has 150 calories and 14 grams of fat per dog.
- Sausages - Like a brat, they tend to have more saturated fat than hot dogs and that is bad for your cholesterol.
- Bean Dip - This one is all about the bad fat and the calories count.
- Guacamole - Shockingly, guacamole is better, because it has healthy fat. Keep in mind, you have to keep your eye on the pre-made versions, as they are made with high-fat content sour cream.
- Artichoke Dip - Cheese strikes again as the one that ruins it. Two tablespoons can have 150 calories. Compare that to French Onion dip, which has about 60.
- Margaritas - Sugar...and yes, alcohol turns into sugar, so you get the double whammy. One big margarita can easily be 500 calories. Compare that to most beers have between 100 and 150 calories.