Holiday Food Recipe: Macaroons
I am a HUGE fan of coconut and my mother makes some of the best macaroons known to man. I have, over the years, attempted to make them as good as she does. I have never compared the 2, but I have never had any complaints. Not to mention, comparing my baking skills to anyone’s mother (especially my own mother) is just bad Christmas Karma.
Try this recipe and let me know how it goes. It is pretty simple and inexpensive.
1 pkg shredded coconut
1 can(s) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites
1 pinch kosher salt
- In large bowl mix coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.
- In another bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into coconut mixture.
- Spray cookie sheet (I use a sheet pan) well with cooking spray(you need to do this each time you put a batch in). Scoop mixture out (I use a ice cream scoop but not necessary) onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown around edges and lightly toasted on top.
- Let cool on baking sheet for just about 1-2 minutes (any longer and they have a tendancy to stick to the pan) and put on waxed/parchment paper on the counter to cool.
One thing you can do, if you want some extra flavor, melt some chocolate and dip each macaroon in the chocolate. It has that flavor of a Mounds bar.
By the way, if you would like to share a recipe, feel free to put in the form below and we can pass it along.