Mumps On the Rise in the Ark-La-Tex, Learn How to Avoid It
According to KTBS, a Texas High School has had an alarming amount of students catching the mumps. The high school has had 23 students diagnosed and the number is growing. News sources report that there are now 30 cases. There are also unrelated cases of the mumps in Dallas and Mesquite.
That is too close to comfort for me. The crazy thing about this story is that the kids have had several rounds of vaccines!
How to avoid the mumps?
- Disinfect everything frequently
- Cover your mouth when you cough
- If you sneeze cover your face
- Don’t share foods or drinks
- Always wash your hands when you get the chance
- Get the MMR vaccine
Do you need the MMR vaccine?
- According to Medicine Net, You don’t need a vaccine if you:
- If you have had two doses of the MMR vaccine after 12 months of age
- If you have previously had one dose of MMR and you’re not at high risk of exposure
- If you’re immune to measles, mumps and rubella proven by blood tests.
- If you were born before 1957
- Pregnant women
- If you have a life-threatening allergy to gelatin
- If take oral steroids
Do you already have the mumps?
- Swollen face
- Tender to the touch (your face)
- Muscle ache
- Loss of appetite
- Pain while chewing
If you see systems pop up, contact your doctor.