St. Patrick’s Day Trivia
Have you gotten your green ready and you tickets ready for Patty on the Plaza? It all happens on Sunday. With temperatures in the 80s, this could be on the of the best days of the year. Sure, on Sunday we will all be Irish for one day, but what do you REALLY know about the patron saint of March 17th?
- St. Patrick wasn’t Irish. He was born in either Scotland or Wales, and was brought to Ireland as a slave
- You know what else isn’t Irish? “Danny Boy”. It was written by an English songwriter named Frederick Weatherly . . . he set it to an Irish melody called “Londonderry Air”
- “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” was written by two Americans.
- St. Patrick’s name wasn’t Patrick. It was actually Maewyn. And the holiday marks his DEATH, not his birthday.
- America is way more Irish than Ireland. There are approximately 36 million
- Americans with Irish ancestors. The population of Ireland is about
- 1% of all the beer in the WORLD is consumed on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Guinness sees the biggest boost of any individual beer on St. Patrick’s Day. On the average day, people worldwide drink 5.5 million pints of Guinness . . . on St. Patrick’s Day, it jumps to at least 13 million pints.
- America’s bar tab on Sunday will be approximately $245 MILLION.
- Americans are in the middle of a new love affair with Irish whiskey. Sales of Irish whiskey are up 400% since 2002. They’ve even jumped 22.5% in the past 12 months.
- Approximately 133 million American adults . . . or 56.3% of the adult population . . . will celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year. And 84% will wear green.