When is Presidents’ Day 2013 and What is Closed in Shreveport Bossier?
Presidents’ Day, is observed on the third Monday in February. It falls on Feb. 18 this year.
Presidents’ Day was established in 1885 to recognize President George Washington‘s birthday which is on the 22, and is still officially called “Washington’s Birthday” by the federal government.
The holiday was moved to Monday in 1971 because of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, put into place to create more three-day weekends for the nation’s workers. Presidents’ Day is now a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents past and present.
What is Closed in Shreveport Bossier?
Due to the President’s Day Holiday, Monday, February 18, 2013, there will be a change in the residential garbage/trash/recycling collection schedules in Shreveport and Bossier City.
- Monday – February 18, 2013 – HOLIDAY – No garbage/trash/recycling will be picked up today.
- Tuesday – February 19, 2013 – Monday’s garbage/trash/recycling will be picked up today.
- Wednesday – February 20, 2013 – Tuesday’s garbage/trash/recycling will be picked up today.
- Thursday – February 21, 2013 – Thursday’s garbage/trash/recycling will not change.
- Friday – February 22, 2013 – Friday’s garbage/trash/recycling will not change.
- All schools closed.
- All banks closed.
- All government Offices closed.
U.S. Postal Service
- Post Office closed and no mail delivery.