Favorite Traditional Irish Proverbs, and Prayers
The folks at Irish Central have really got me in the spirit of St Patrick's Day! They have a way for you to get a little Irish culture going before you celebrate. Some of these Irish sayings are things you have heard your whole life, and maybe just whip out around March 17th. But I love the Irish proverbs and prayers as well, and some of my favorites are below.
- A man's best friend is his mother until he meets his wife
- May all your troubles be little ones
and all your little ones be trouble free
- May you always have money in your pocket
a woman to love
and a smile on your face
- There are good ships and there are wood ships,
the ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships are friendships,
and may they always be
- May you be at the gates of heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead!
- May the wind always be at your back