Five Healthy Snacks To Eat While On A Road Trip [LIST]
It's Memorial Day weekend and a lot of people are jumping in the car to get away for a few days. But while you're in the car, what are you gonna snack on?
Speaking from experience, while on a road trip you get bored. You can't get up and walk around, so what do a lot of people do in between naps?? Eat. But don't grab that candy bar. Here are a few healthy snack ideas that you can pick up a gas station that won't inflate you waistline.
- Low-sodium Beef Jerky - one of my absolute faves! The jerky made on-site is the best choice, but if you have to grab some jerky that is pre-packaged, pick a brand that isn't loaded with all kinds unnatural ingredients.
- Popcorn - healthier than a bag of chips, but still gives you that 'crunch' that you crave. And most popcorn can be as little as 100 calories per serving.
- Fruit - fresh fruit, dried fruit, fruit cups, etc., but just be aware of extra added sugars.
- Trail Mix - this one can be 'iffy.' A mixture of nuts, raisins and dried fruit is a great choice. Just try to avoid the ones with M&M's and chocolate-covered raisins/nuts and you'll be good to go.
- Protein Bar - Again these can be questionable, but try to choose the ones that are high in protein and fiber, but low in sugar.
So, when you stop at the gas station, don't head for the candy bars, ice cream and soda...save your 'cheating' for the actual vacation!