Facebook is Starting a Campaign to Help Prevent Suicide Among Users
According to Huffington Post, Facebook plans to use artificial intelligence and update its tools and services to help prevent suicides among its users.
This stems from an incident that occurred on Facebook Live where a 14 year old girl committed suicide.
Suicide Rates in Louisiana
- Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in Louisiana.
- Over 3 times as many people die by suicide in Louisiana annually than by HIV/AIDS
- The total deaths to suicide reflect a total of 13,728 years of potential life lost before the age 65.
- On average, one person dies by suicide approximately every 13 hours in Louisiana.
Facts from American Foundation of Suicide Prevention
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US.
- Each year 44,193 Americans die by suicide.
- For every suicide, 25 attempt.
- Suicide costs the US $44 billion annually.
What does this mean for people in Louisiana using Facebook?
Well, this could help our numbers go down. Facebook will now start using tools that will give an option to users watching a live video to reach out to the person directly and report the video to Facebook.