Food for the Holidays: Anyone for Divinity?
Growing up in my family, we used to have some amazing spreads…and most of them were loaded with sugar. It is still a wonder how I didn’t have a weight problem earlier in life. Regardless, one of the amazing confections my Grandmother used to make was Divinity.I figured I would share the amazingly easy to make a tasty treat that i wold consume in mass quantities, as a kid.
1 bx fluffy white frosting mix
1/3 c light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c boiling water
1 1/8 pkg (16 oz) confectioner’s sugar
1 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry frosting mix, corn syrup, vanilla and boiling water.
2. Using an electric stand-mixer, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes). Light hand-mixers aren’t usully powerful enough.
3. Reduce speed to low and gradually blend in sugar.
4. Gently stir in the nuts.
5. Using a teaspoon, drop the mixture onto waxed paper. When outside of candy feels firm, turn over; dry at least 12 hours (depending on the humidity).
6. Store in airtight container.