Resolving to be More Mindful in the New Year
2018 is going to be all about mindfulness for me: spiritually, emotionally, physically and financially.
That sounds like a pretty lofty goal, but even a step in the right direction is an improvement. When you break it down, it's really all about stopping and taking a moment to pray, have a meaningful conversation with a loved one without staring at the phone in your hand, resisting an impulse buy or stopping yourself from mindlessly eating the entire package of Oreos!
That's a lot to take in, but this is how I've broken it down.
1. Pay myself first. Each pay period I'm transferring a specific amount of money from my checking account into my savings with the understanding that it won't be touched unless I desperately need it.
2. Upping my 401K election. Between upping my contribution and my employer now providing a company match, I'll be saving aggressively for my future.
3. I've changed my investing strategy to reflect the current market's performance and take advantage.
1. I'm taking more productive 'me time' in 2018 and I refuse to feel guilty for it, even if there's a pile of laundry that needs to be done. After all, if you don't recharge your batteries, you won't have anything left to give.
2. I'm going to do better balancing my work/personal obligations. I get anxious when I have a lot on my plate and I'm not hurting anyone but myself by saying 'yes.' Here's to saying 'no' more in the new year!
3. I'm going to take time to nurture my relationships.
4. I'm going to take more time to pray and meditate on the Lord's blessings in my life. Hopefully being more mindful about this will help me to step back before making impulsive (read: bad) decisions with my personal and professional relationships.
1. I've tried cross fit, cardio kickboxing, weight lifting and intense cardio and I'm still the biggest I've been in my life. I've also tried every diet under the sun. I'm going to continue using Plexus in the new year, but I'm not going to do a specific diet. I'm going to be more mindful of what I put in my mouth and concentrate on prepping healthy meals each weekend with the help of my husband and his grill master skills! Honestly, I think I've made peace with being a big girl, but I'd like to be a healthy big girl so I don't miss a moment with my friends and loved ones!
2. I'm practicing yoga. I took my first class Wednesday with Tina at Empower Yoga in the Villaggio in Bossier. It was WAY harder than what I thought it would be and I'm taking my next class tomorrow morning at 9:30! Seriously, muscles I never knew I had sat up and said hello! However, yoga isn't just about getting leaner, it's all about being mindful and becoming strong both physically and mentally. During my first class, I had an epiphany. I need to get out of my own way! Wonder what kind of self discovery I'll have accomplished after several months of practice?
3. Lastly, I'm going to take better care of myself by getting more sleep. I'm sick of always feeling tired. Exercise, a healthy diet and a consistent schedule can all help, but I've grown too used to hitting the snooze button and feeling rushed all the time. I resolve to be present and on time in 2018, ready to take on the day after a good night's sleep!
What are you doing to become a better human being in 2018? I'd love to hear from you and maybe we can become each other's cheerleaders!