Social media has spread another “challenge” trend that is dangerous and all parents should be aware of.  So much so, that the Food and Drug Administration published a warning this week about taking too much Benadryl.

The public warning read, “We are aware of reports of teenagers ending up in emergency rooms or dying after participating in the “Benadryl Challenge” encouraged in videos posted on the social media application TikTok.”

According to KATC, a 15-year-old girl in Oklahoma City did the challenge and died of a Benadryl overdose in August. Her family blamed her death on this “challenge” on TikTok that challenges you to take a dozen or so doses Benadryl to experience hallucinations.

Three teens had to be rushed to the hospital earlier this year in Texas after taking a large amount of allergy medication.  According to Newsweek, when they recovered, the teens confessed that they had taken the medication as part of the TikTok challenge.

The health and safety of people who use our products is our top priority. The BENADRYL TikTok trend is extremely concerning, dangerous, and should be stopped immediately. - Johnson & Johnson, Benadryl manufacturer

Parents, talk to your kids and let them know the dangers of this challenge. Help to spread the word to other parents so they will know this thing exists. Let them know that the FDA states that taking more than the recommended dose of Benadryl can lead to serious heart problems, seizures, coma, or even death. The FDA also reminds parents to lock up medicines to prevent accidental overdoses.

We are investigating these reports and conducting a review to determine if additional cases have been reported. We also contacted TikTok and strongly urged them to remove the videos from their platform and to be vigilant to remove additional videos that may be posted. - FDA